Chuck 'n' Duck

"I'm a very optimistic person. When you're optimistic, the good opportunities, good fortune, good everything will come with it." - Jae Seo Chuck 'n' Duck: the New York Mets from an Eternal Optimist's P.O.V.

Friday, September 09, 2005

A Little Time Off

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and... maybe it'd be best if we took some time apart.

Now, hold on, don't get too emotional here. There's no other team in my life, you know that. You need to trust me on this one, it's important. I mean, I've had the most tempting offers from across town for years now, but I've stood by you and I've remained loyal. So considering the attention that I've been paid in my time, it's not like I'm going to be running off for the first Brave or Phillie to bat its eyes at me.

But still, something's are just not okay right now. I feel a little neglected. A little underappreciated. And a lot trapped. I don't know where my head or my hearts at right now. When we spent that time together in Arizona, things were amazing. The wins and the runs and the terrific nightly pitching performances -- it was really spectacular. But ever since we left Phoenix, things have gotten a little too rocky for me. And tonight kind of capped it. I've seen this happen before, you're back up to your old tricks, which just goes to show me you haven't shaken them like you promised me you would. Now, it seems like we're back to square one all over again.

It's not that I've fallen out of love with you, I still love you very much. We really do get along really well a lot of the time. Granted, I do look around at other teams every once in awhile. I do a little Baseball Tonight occasionally to see how some of the other teams are doing, sure, but I never mean anything by it.

Still maybe a little time out would be for the best. I don't want to be one of those guys that just up and abandons you during the bad times, but maybe it would be best for both of us. Things are getting stale, you've been having awful nights, and that just ruins my mood for the rest of the next day. It's a constant cycle and it's just not fair to either one of us.

So, I'm going to take a little vacation. Spend a little time with my girlfriend, hang out with some friends, maybe take in a Giant game. Whoa, whoa! Chill, I meant the New York Giants, not San Francisco! Come on, could I really root for a team that employed Armando Benitez? Ha ha... heh...

Still too soon to be making jokes about that? My bad.